Young Explorers Programme on MS Midnatsol in Antarctica
Participation, education and fun for all on MS Midnatsol in Antarctica
Our complimentary Young Explorers Programme is designed for children travelling with adults to magnificent destinations where the focus is on education, fun, and participation. The program emphasises the environmental challenges our planet is facing and we use the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) guidelines as the foundation for this program. Our dedicated staff member will lead age-appropriate lectures and field research with your Young Explorer.
The Programme is available November 2016 - March 2017 on Discover Patagonia and Antarctica and The Legendary Magellan, Chilean Fjords and Antarctica voyages. At the beginning of the voyage children will receive a Young Explorer package consisting of a t-shirt and workbook.
The perfect complement to youth exploration
- Provides events and activities when children are not exploring with adults
- Activities and learning are designed for children between the ages of 7-13 (although all ages can join in)
- Young Explorers are greeted on embarkation day for an introduction to the program
- Young Explorers will be able to attend their own ‘Introduction to Antarctica’ presentation
Young Explorers workbook topics and field notes
- Science: Activities using the science center, looking into biology and geology of the Southern Ocean via real field samples.
- Polar history: Activities both on board and in the field – including an actual re-creation of the Amundsen party reaching the South Pole!
- Photography: Activities with our onboard professional photographers
- Nautical: Fun activities with our navigation officers - plus an exclusive meeting with the Captain
- Every task completed in the workbook will receive one stamp
- Children who complete the workbook will get a prize and an official certificate with an official ‘Ship Stamp’ from the Captain
Environmental education game - for youth and new explorer friends
Kids will be introduced to EcoChains, one of the best new environmental games available and a great educational card game, which will be incorporated into the programme for play during the voyage.
Young explorers expedition volunteers
Many young explorers are fascinated by the Expedition Team operation and this programme allows youth to volunteer to assist the Expedition Team duties – a real hands-on way for kids to feel the rigours of explorations. On one Antarctica landing during the voyage, the kids are invited to help the staff set up the landing site before passengers go ashore and may involve the following:
- Digging snow steps
- Carrying ashore emergency equipment from the boat
- Carrying flags and cones for path-making
- Stand on post by penguin colony with Expedition Team member
- General help on landing site, accompanying a staff member at all times